Backyard cocktails? Yes, please. Here's a few delicious recipes to put those herbs you're growing to good use.
Basil Gin Splash
- 10 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 ounces Simple Syrup
- 2 ounces Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 ounces Good Quality Gin
- Ice Cubes
- In a cocktail shaker add basil leaves, simple syrup and lemon juice.
- Using a wooden muddler, crush the basil till bruised and fragrant. You will notice the liquid will start to turn slight green in color.
- Pour in gin and ice cubes. Add top to the shaker and give the drink a good shake until the outside of the cocktail shaker is freezing cold. I always know when to stop because it starts to get too cold to hold any longer.
- Strain into a short cocktail glass, add additional ice and garnish with basil leave if desired.
Cilantro Limeade with Vodka
1 cup Limeade
- 2 ounces Vodka, or gin
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Cilantro, finely minced
- Add a few ice cubes to a short cocktail glass, set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker add a few ice cubes, limeade, vodka and cilantro.
- Shake until the drink is cold and pour into the prepared glass.
- Limeade: 5 Limes, juiced
- 1/2-3/4 cup Super Fine Sugar, more or less depending on desired sweetness level
- 8 cups Boiling Water, cold
- In a large pitcher add lime juice, superfine sugar and cold water.
- Stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, plus sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice (from about 10 lemons)
- 1 cup gin (optional)
- 1. In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, thyme, and 1 cup water to a boil; stir until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, gin (if using), and 6 cups cold water; strain into a large pitcher. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour (and up to 1 week). Serve over ice, garnished with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Raspberry Herb Smash Cocktail
- 6 raspberries
- 3-4 leaves of your favorite fresh herb- torn mint, basil, lemon balm and sage recommended
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 lime juiced
- soda water
- 1 shot vodka optional
- Combine raspberries, herb and sugar in the bottom of a glass. Muddle until raspberries are completely broken up and mushy. Add juice of half a lime and ice. Top with soda water.
To make an alcoholic version of this cocktail, add the vodka to the raspberries, herb and sugar and muddle all together before topping with lime and soda water.
- 7 or 8 sprigs fresh red basil
1 ounce Simple Syrup for Mixed Drinks (Bring 1 cup water to boil, add 1 cup sugar. Dissolve and cool)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Ice cubes
- 2 1/2 ounces silver rum
- Add red basil and simple syrup to a highball glass; muddle well with a muddler or wooden spoon. Add limes and continue to muddle until well combined.
- Fill glass three-quarters full with ice. Add rum and serve immediately.